Photobucket

Wednesday, January 12, 2011

New Car


It's been months since I've had a real blog -- so here I go. Thought I would start out with the car that I bought while I was student teaching last semester. It is THE best car I could have asked for and I feel so blessed to have found the perfect one for the perfect price. My old bishop helped me find it at his car dealership. He really is such a great father figure to me and takes really good care of me.
At Gene Harvey, my bishop works with his 2 brothers, who were so sweet. They even took a picture of me in front of the car for a calendar that they send to all of their customers. I am so glad that they documented this. Amy is in the front seat if you can see her.

If I could express into one word how I feel about having a car, it would be FREEDOM! I finally feel like an adult. After 10 years of public transportation, begging for rides to the grocery store in the snow, waiting at the bus stop in front of a bar in New Orleans hoping I wouldn't get killed-- I can finally get to places with no hassle. However, I do miss walking to places so I can daydream, not paying for gas, and how it built some character in me. I am trying to pay it forward by giving people rides when I can. I could also say that I feel quite spoiled because I don't deserve this.

Oh and did I mention that I got my driver's license a couple of weeks before the big purchase?

I would say all in all it was a good year in 2010. Along with a new car and a driver's license, I also finished my "dreaded" student teaching (a.k.a best semester of my college career) which led to me graduating in December. I learned from this experience that my calling in life is to help kids, specifically secondary school students. I LOVED my students and have been back a couple of times to visit and it fills me up with so much joy when I see them. Most importantly, and this is going to sound cliche, but I learned that if I try hard enough and trust in the Lord, then I can do anything. I accomplished tasks and problems that I never thought I could do/face.

It feels pretty surreal to be done. It seemed just like yesterday that I was idolizing my beautiful older sisters and how graduating like them seemed so distant.

As for the new year? It's gonna be a great year. The next chapter in my life includes new goals, new jobs, new adventures, and I am ready for the Lord to guide me in the direction He desires most for me. Having a plan scares me and I am trying to do my best, but if I could see for just one second the Lord's plan in comparison to mine, I know that I would hands down choose the Lord's plan.

Have a great new year and let's DREAM BIG 2011!!!

Stay tuned for "What I did over Christmas Break"... (a sneak peek can be found here and here)

4 comments:

Chelsey Meier said...

Laura I love this post! You are so amazing! I'm so happy for you. Way to go and get your driver's license and a car! How amazing is that? And congrats on graduating! I'm sure you make the BEST teacher!

Emily C said...

Laura, you made such HUGE accomplishments this last year. you are such an amazing example yourself! So proud of my hard-working little graduate. love you lots.

and P>S> your car is ADORABLE!!! i'm excited to see it in person in april.

Mike and Crystal said...

Laura you're awesome! I loved the update :) Congrats on the car, graduation, and the job! Such exciting things! I miss you and hope I get to see you when I come for a visit, love you!

Kate said...

Car's are the best, seriously, not having a car is like not having... something you really really need.