Photobucket

Tuesday, July 7, 2009

Week Two in England!!!

Week two in London equals pure wonderfulness.  Why may you ask?  Well let me tell you...  
It all started on monday  when we went to go see "As You like It" at the globe theater.  It was pretty amazing even though I sat right in from of a column, thus having to rotate my view every few seconds.  This place was so cool.  Afterwards we took a scenic walk home.  I can't even explain how amazing London is at night time.  We tried taking a picture in a red phone booth, but it kinda smelled like pee.  Here is a pic of a group of us before the play started.  Where's waldo?


London at night on the Thames River, just outside the Globe Theater.




On tuesday, me and a few of some of my friends (which I am making some amazing friends here btw) went out for fish and chip for lunch between classes and I absolutely loved it.  I will definitely be having some again.  

Wednesday.  Ooooh wednesday.  This was a fun adventure.  We went out on a really nice bus, first stopping at Stonehenge.  This place was really cool and I never thought I would like this kind of stuff much, but every thing is so much for fantastic in person.  However, Stonehenge was a lot smaller than I thought it would be. Whatev... it was cool.


Photobucket

Me and miss Rubie.



Next on our list was Bath, while watching "Pride and Prejudice" on the bus, since this is where Jane Austen lived-- I think this was my favorite stop of the day.  It is a GORGEOUS city.  The architecture was amazing  and I felt like I was walking the streets of Rome for a bit.  We got to see the Roman Baths which were amazazing.  A lot of the girls were excited over the Jane Austen Museum, where they bought I heart Darcy pins and what not.  A kind man reminded one of them that Mr. Darcy was not real...

Photobucket

After we explored Bath (I wanted more time here), we headed on over to Stourhead which was my version of paradise.  I kept joking that this was what heaven was going to be like, but really I secretly meant it.  Stourhead is this huge garden, but that is kept to look like nature in its ideal beauty.  We all went sort of crazy in this place, especially since this is where they filmed a few scenes of Pride and Prejudice... Let's see if you recognize any...



Photobucket

Photobucket

I guess this is the Elizabeth Bennett pose after Mr. Darcy confessed his love for her in the movie haha
Photobucket

Just when you thought it couldn't get any better, it does.  On Thursday, a group of us went to see the musical, Wicked-- I LOVED IT!  I didn't know if I wold like musicals but this one was so good.  The music and the acting was incredible, and who knew you would fall in love with the wicked witch from the west!  This night was so magical and we all were so giddy after the play and so we wandered around london at night all dressed up and all.  Again, nights in London are incredible.  This was the most magical night.  We went to see Big Ben and the London eye and just walked around and enjoyed a private little concert by this lady singing in the street with her guitar.  She had an incredible voice, kind of similar to my sister Amy's voice and Norah Jones.  This was my favorite night!







On Friday, we did a culture trip to Southhall, aka mini India.  I'm not gonna lie, I felt a bit uncomfortable when I walked off the train since we were the only white people around.  But then I reminded myself it was only because I was not used to this.  I wasn't used to being the only white girl, or seeing unfamiliar things and places.   Seriously, I felt like I went to India and back.  Southhall is home to a large Sikh, Hindu, and Muslim community.  We visited a Sikh Gurdwara (a temple) and participated in their ceremony.  Immediately as I walked in I felt so much more comfortable.  The people are very welcoming.  We had to remove our shoes and wear scarves to cover our heads.  As an attendent waves a feather over their holy book, I approached the alter and bowed to it out of respect, since it was custom.  You sit with your feet crossed and you meditate.  The scripture is read all day and they kind of sing it.  It was very different, yet interesting.  As you leave the room, a man gives you an offering of this sweet oily dough and I didn't want to refuse it and be rude.  Yeah... I tried tasting it and I almost threw it up in my mouth so I kept it in my hand until I could discretely discard it.  After that, we were led down to a communal meal, which I'm sorry,  but it was kinda disgusting.  After that we helped with the dishes.  We then explored the town a bit, and visited two more temples.  We also had this amazing Indian dinner at a really nice restaurant and got henna tattoos afterwards.  


Photobucket

Photobucket


Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Saturday I celebrated the fourth of July by indulging my self in some good ol' american food (Burger King).  Still not as good here. Their burger was tiny and they only give you two packets of ketchup but only if you ask!  haha I asked the guy  if I could have more and he just stared at me like I was an idiot.  Me and a few girls also went to see this thriller play, called "The Woman in Black."  This was supposed to be super scary and good, but I found it kind of boring and barely scary.  I'm glad I saw it though.  The acting was phenomenal for a 2 man play.

Sunday, again, was my favorite day.  It did not take us quite as long to get to church this week.  It was testimony meeting and it was one of the most spiritual ones I have been to.  We sang my two favorite hymns, "I know that my Redeemer Lives" and "I Stand all Amazed."  They have some amazing testimonies and it made me happy when I saw some of the recent converts get up and bear their testimony.  My favorite was the bishop's son who got up to bear his testimony, who is only about 9 years old.  The sweetest testimony I've heard in a while.  The best part was afterwards all of the kids in the back started clapping and I had to stop myself from clapping because it was so good!  hahaha This kid, Bradley, is my favorite-- he always has a huge smile on his face and is going to make a great leader some day.  Another one of my favorites was one of the young women who got up to bear her testimony.  It was amazing to hear her struggles and her ability overcome them and still come to church every sunday.  After the meeting, I found out that I have a calling in Relief Society.  I pretty much think it is my calling in life to be in the relief society because I always get called in it.  I love RS though!  I'm teaching in a few weeks and I'm very excited and a little nervous.  I doubt I should be nervous because the women have some of the best comments and are very encouraging.  My lesson is on the conference talk on provident living, so please if you have any input let me know.  It was awesome when the the teacher on Sunday split us up in groups for the whole time so we can lead our own discussions.  It was so cool and I just found my self wanting to say "aaamen sista" after each comment.  The teacher said she splits them up from time to time, because they all have so much to say that this really is the best way.   The lesson was on love.  My favorite comment was when this African sister with 5 kids says that she tells each one of her children individually that she loves them the most and I said that my mom does that too!  And we all started laughing.  But for reals, all growing up I thought I was mom's favorite ahahahaha  I love you mom! 

The best is when the teacher says that they are going to only sing one verse for the closing song and all of the women get confused and say "why? but it is a beautiful song..." to every song.  So we sing all the verses-- this made me happy and love the hymns even more! After church I met the young men who are such studs.  One of them introduced himself as uncle Julias and he was 15 years old, yet he looked 21 years old with his facial hair.  I love this ward so much!  

Yes.  There is not a day that doesn't go by that I forget how blessed I am to have an opportunity to do this.  I am so happy to be here even though...

1.  I need to see a dentist very badly.  My teeth are constantly throbbing which is causing me to get headaches.  I've been taking lots of advil (it's ok mom)
2. There is no such thing as down time/alone time 
3.  No television (i'm dying that I can't watch the Bachelorette)
4.  lots of naked butts haha and see through showers
5.  sweaty shirts and pants.  I wish I packed more shorts and skirts
6.  I don't know how to do my hair here- it's oily and dry at the same time??? What?
7.  I live in a room with 12 very dominant but fun personalities,
8.  Tons of reading for school.... I guess I am studying abroad
9.  Every thing cost literally twice as much here.
10.  Sucky toilets and no such think as cold drinks still bother me.
I'm going to Paris on Thursday until Saturday and I cannot wait.  I will take lots of pictures I promise.  I love you all! And you are in my prayers every night!  

11 comments:

mama said...

Loved the pictures, hated the news about your teeth. Check with your chaperones to find out about dental care while there. I can put money in your account. Don't wait!

As usual, even when something isn't so great, you always have something positive to say about it. That's just fab...and full of wonderfulness!

I loved that picture of the girl with the boots who was sitting and writing. Who is that? Also loved the black and white pic ov the 3 girls with their colored scarves. Wish you were in that one.

Loved that the members clapped...reminded me of the branch pre-Katrina. I would love to sit in on one of those R/S group discussions.

I have been inspired by your determination to make this dream come true. I'm just amazed that all of this is happening. Good luck in Paris...stay together at all times.

Did I say "Don't wait!"? Please check into it ASAP. love ya

mama said...

and...please tell me that you got that "ubstructed" view at the Globe for a major discount!!!

mama said...

oops...obstructed

mama said...

check your email...and "don't wait"

Amy BUG : ] said...

wow mom... i think you set the record for "most times commented on a single blog post by a single person"...

wish i was there! love you! miss you!

and remember... "don't wait."

Alan and Alexis said...

Laura I just love reading your blog! You're such a good writer and are doing so many amazing things! Have fun in Paris! You will love it! And make sure you buy crepes with nutella, they're amazing!!! Love ya!

Jessica said...

love, love, love, all the pictures. laura don't wait to get you teeth checked! hahahaha. no, seriously. listen to mom.

i was supposed to teach that same lesson in r.s. on the sunday i had to stay home and rest. i totally had prepared the whole thing and everything, so if you want i can email you my lesson plan.

i can't believe you're going to paris tomorrow!!!! how fun. take lots and lots of pictures and "bring me back something french!" ahahahahahaha. (you do catch where that quote is from, right? right?)

Megan said...

Laura! I'm having so much fun living vicariously through your blog! You are convincing me that I'm going to have to go do some time in London myself! Great pictures, btw!!! When you get back we're going to have to have a big party and you can show us all your pics and stories. We miss you! Our new roommate is way cool, wish she was staying after summer. But we're excited for you to come back.

Sarah said...

ahh laura i'm so glad you made study abroad in london happen!! what an awesome experience!

those pride and prejudice grounds look so pretty! i've never really been into those books/movies though but it's still really cool that you are seeing such beautiful things!

we are leaving north carolina so i'll be able to skype with you tomorrow night (tuesday night) i'll try and get on around 6 my time which is 11 your time? i'll fill you in on the bachelorette hahaha

oh and bring me back something french :)

Emily C said...

luara, this is soo cool. i'm lovin ALL of your photo updates. i'm so glad you are studying abroad in europe. you go girl! live with no regrets. i really wish i would have done something like this while in college.

i miss you tons.

Anonymous said...

Great photos, Laura!